With a total length of six kilometres, this aqueduct was built to supply water to the Convento de Cristo.It was built at the orders of Filipe I, in 1593, under the supervision of the architect Filipe Terzi. It is classified as a National Monument.
This aqueduct was built in 1720 at the orders of José Bento Leitão, the maternal grandfather of the Portuguese writer Almeida Garrett.It was built to carry water from a spring at Vilar de Andorinho to the palace of Quinta do Sardão. It is a robust (...)
Around 6-km long and constituted by 180 arches, the Aqueduct of Pegões was one of the main public works built in the 17th century in Portugal. This monumental work was designed by the distinguished architect Filipe Terzi, in order to supply water to (...)
This majestic triumphal arch, the noble gateway onto the interior of the "Downtown", was planned in the time of the Marquis de Pombal to finish off the northern side of the Praça do Comércio. However, it was only begun in 1862 and finished in (...)
The Archway Built on one of the medieval gateways to the city, this monumental archway was commissioned by Bishop Francisco Gomes de Avelar in the early 19th century. The project was carried out by Italian architect Francisco Xavier Fabri and (...)
Arch of São GonçaloThe Arch of São Gonçalo indicates the site of the saint's birthplace in 1360. He is the patron saint of fishermen in Lagos, the only Portuguse locality where fishermen have never adopted São Pedro Telmo as their patron saint. São (...)
The Arco de Almedina was part of the solid mediaeval wall rebuilt in the 11th century by the Arab conqueror Almansor, and it is the only surviving gate from the three that once led into the citadel. It now marks the entrance into the old part of (...)
Standing in isolation atop a 192-metre high hill, close to the Estrada Nacional 258, roughly 3 kilometres from the town of Moura, is this curious example of 14th-century military architecture.Built in the 14th century, this 12-metre high round (...)
The António Duarte (1912-1998) Atelier and Museum was inaugurated in 1985, after the donation made by sculptor António Duarte of his art collection to his hometown, the city of Caldas da Rainha. The initial idea was to provide the building with a (...)
*Please wait*The password recovery instructions will be sent to your e-mail.*E-mail not sent. Try again.
Login using social networks