Hugo Makarov/Mário Belém/Nuno Saraiva/Pedro Soares Neves/UAT /Vanessa Teodoro
Fado Vadio / Fado bohemio
Location:Escadinhas de São Cristóvão, Lisboa
In Lisbon, on the way to the Castelo de São Jorge (St. George's Castle), we are surprised on the Escadinhas of São Cristóvão by a large mural depicting amateur fado singers, painted by an artists' collective. It is worth taking your time up the steps to appreciate the details in the drawings of these Lisbon inhabitants.
The collective comprises:
- Hugo Makarov, a tattoo artist who makes excursions into urban art.
- Mário Belem, a graphic designer and graduate of the Lisbon school of arts, Ar.Co, who worked in various companies before becoming a freelancer. He likes to try out new techniques, materials and styles.
- Pedro Soares Neves (www.userdesign.org), a pioneer in introducing contemporary graffiti, on an altruistic basis, into Portugal. An urban designer with a multidisciplinary academic training and a postgraduate qualification in design and architecture, he specialised in participatory methodologies and the informal and spontaneous pictorial appropriation of public space.
- UAT (Trancão Artists' Union) was founded in February 2011 by Adrião Resende, André Santos, Fábio Santos, Flávio Carvalho, Miguel Brum, Nuno Barbedo, Paulo Ferreira and Sérgio Hortelão
- Vanessa Teodoro, aka Super Van, works as an illustrator and artist, but advertising and graphic design are important parts of her day-to-day life. She particularly likes 'getting her hands dirty' in urban art-related projects.