Universidade de Évora
The creation of the University of Évora dates back to the sixteenth century when the Cardinal D. Henrique, 1st Archbishop of Évora, with the consent of King João III, ordered the construction of a building to house the community of Jesuit seminarians. In 1553 the facilities were extended, having been erected the Cloister of the 'Botica' (Pharmacy), from which originated the College of the Espírito Santo (Holy Spirit), administered by the Company of Jesus. The first class was taught on August 28, 1553. Six years later, on April 15, 1559, the second university in Portugal was created, through the Papal Bull Cum a Nobis, issued by Pope Paul IV. The first solemn opening of the academic year took place on the Day of All Saints on November 1, 1559.
Two years later, a new extension of the building began, with the construction of the Courtyard of the 'Gerais'. At the time, the university was authorized to teach all subjects except Medicine, Civil Law and part of the Canon Law. It initially taught Philosophy, Moral, Scripture, Speculative Theology, Rhetoric, Grammar and Humanities. Later, in the reign of D. Pedro II, the teaching of Mathematics, Geography, Physics and Military Architecture began.
After 200 years of prominence for its role in the formation of the elites and missionaries of the kingdom, the university was closed by the Marquis of Pombal, on February 8, 1759, and the Jesuits were expelled from Portugal. Over the following 200 years, the University of Évora remained closed until its renewal in 1973, reopening its doors as a public university. During this period, many other institutions of teaching vocation passed through this beautiful building, either alone or on a cohabitation arrangement: the Regal Teachers of the 'Pombalina' Reform (1762), the Third Order of St. Francis under the protection of Frei Manuel do Cenáculo (1776), the Real Casa Pia (1836), The National 'Liceu' - High School (1841), the Industrial and Commercial School (1915) and the University Institute of Évora (1973).
Nowadays, the University of Évora is a modern and innovative institution,prominent for the quality of its research and teaching, following the motto of Luís de Camões "Honest study mixed with long experience", reconciling the vast past of pedagogical, cultural and scientific tradition with the advanced requirements of modernity and technology, offering a wide range of training options in humanistic, scientific, technological and artistic areas, through about 36 first degrees, 76 masters and 31 doctorates.
Weekdays: 8 a.m. - 11 p.m. ; Saturdays: 8 a.m.-8p.m.; closed on sundays.
In August it is open at saturdays and sundays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.