Centro Ciência Viva de Estremoz
Science and Knowledge
Welcome to the Centre for Live Science of Estremoz
What is a Centre for Live Science?
It is a place where Science and Technology break the walls of laboratories, coming in direction to the visitor. A place where it is possible to interact with the exposition; to touch, experiment, play and discover are a must through the entire visit.
Who we are?
At the Centre for Live Science of Estremoz you will discover how the place where we all live works… Earth. An amazing planet where all phenomenon are connected.
A little bit of History…
If Science is now mainly produced mainly in Universities and research labs, there were times where Convents were not only places of worship but also temples of knowledge. Why not reuse these ancient buildings adapting them to new demands? On the 15th century when the Maltezas’ Convent begun being built it would be impossible to predict that it would be the home for the Centre for Live Science of Estremoz on the turn of the 21st century.
- A system called Earth. What makes it so special? How was it created? How did it evolve? Where is it going?
- Re-educate the senses; Are our senses prepared to understand most of the geological processes?
- The Earth in the Universe; To know our Planet. The Earth within your reach. Discover its secrets.
- External energies; The sun is not just for tanning. Floods, droughts, glaciations, but also limestone, clays and… as might be expected, Life.
- Internal energies; The Earth’s heart. Earthquakes, volcanoes… simple catastrophes or the pulsation of a dynamic Earth?
- Rovin of the Sea (Rovin dos Mares); a journey to the ocean deep… How to dive into the oceans’ secrets?
- Marbles; Why there are marbles in Alentejo? How are those rocks created? How can we explore them and what are they for?
- Evolution; Answer to a changing planet… From DNA molecules to the evolution of life on Earth.
From exhibits to field trips, including laboratory activities; different ways of exploring CCVExtremoz in one unique visit.
From Tuesday to Sunday: 10am-6pm.
Closed: Mondays and holidays.